Thursday, July 28, 2016

Goals for the second half of 2016

The foot ailment sure threw a monkey wrench in the middle of my plans for the year. I'm FINALLY able to run short, smart distances, with zero consideration for speed whatsoever. I'm glad I got the bike and used it regularly, but golly am I out of shape!!! Bike shape and running shape are completely different! Although to be fair, I jumped right into hot weather running and it's typically easier with my schedule to run in the day than it would be to run in the evening, or especially in the morning (lol yeah right! me??? hahaha)

Here are the new plans for the rest of the year:

* I had planned to keep July runs under 3 miles each, but forgot that and accidentally ran 3.33 today. Oops ;)
* Run the Electric Bolt 5k virtual option this weekend. I've finished in 2nd place both times I've done it, but due to previous plans I can't make it to the actual run, not to mention I have slow legs this year. I like the people who run it, so I'm happy to support them again. They also organize the Twinkie Run.
* Increase my mileage in August so I can manage 6 miles. Build slowly, add 1 mile per week, still not running consecutive days.
* September increase to a few 10-mile runs.
* October - the Heroes on Hines half. I did it the first year and didn't love it. Running Fit is offering a bonus medal this year to runners who do both the Martian half and this half. Works for me. Besides, I'm not doing Chicago the next weekend as was the case in previous years. Almost certainly not doing the Queen Bee half in Cincinnati, even though Iris puts on exceptional races and this is the first year I'd be able to do it (always the day before Chicago). Can't justify the cost, not knowing how my foot will fare. I don't have a streak to maintain there, so no reason to drive and push it.
* November - Veterans half marathon in Columbia City, Indiana. I registered on New Year's Day for $40, even with my foot screaming angrily the whole time. Hate the course, like the people, like the town.
* December - start thinking about the Flying Pig marathon :D

No comments:

Post a Comment