Thursday, January 5, 2017

A bizarre beginning

Wednesday was day 1 of Flying Pig training. After breakfast and coffee (ok and nap...) I opened the heavy inside door and felt the cold and wind through the storm door. "Oh hell no!" I slammed the door shut. It was 6 degrees outside and crazy windy. Gyms are all a bunch of butts (I refuse to give them my bank account information to auto debit, I'm more than happy to give them a wad of cash to prepay the whole year, but no one wants my business). Biking is decent if I'm injured, but not an everyday solution to training.

What to do....

I finally dressed like I was going outside - shorts and fleece lined pants, long sleeved tech shirt and fleece jacket, then went in the basement where I propped my phone on the washer and turned on a YouTube video to pass the time.

I set an alarm for 30 minutes and ran in place... Running 3 miles would take about the same time. Close enough? Kinda sorta. It's obviously not an everyday training solution, but it wasn't terrible either. I elevated my heart rate and sweated a ton, which I wouldn't have done in the cold. I focused on techniques that typically go by the wayside - "running" with my mouth closed and breathing through my nose, engaging my abs, raising knees higher, kicking heels higher.

It was a ton more enjoyable than a dreadmill. Free, no commute. I could do so much worse. I "ran" on the cement floor, I might look for a piece of plywood in the basement for next time, to soften the impact. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment