Saturday, May 20, 2017

The pig, the bad and the ugly - Part 2

As I taped every one of my toes at 5:45 in the morning, the only thought going through my head was the absolute certainty of "I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS!!!!!" I knew I wasn't ready for the race and it was going to be a long slow painful trip through Cincinnati. I didn't do a very good job with training, then with a month out, I realized I wasn't going to be ready and mentally gave up on training. I tweaked my lower back at the Martian and babied that perhaps a bit too much in the two weeks between races. Coming back from injury. Blah blah blah. Plenty of ways I could justify the forthcoming time.

#24 - At the start before the spit hit the fan
The boyfriend and I didn't even leave until 6:15 - the race started at 6:30 and we had a mile walk to the start. The first wave went off and we were still over a quarter mile away, walking in the opposite direction because I had to cross the start timing mat. I hopped in an opening in the gates and tried to get myself psyched up for the run. I was going to start slow slow slow and do what I could.

Some parts felt good, most of it was painful. Despite my crying hissy fit all week about the forecast (low 30s....), it wound up being perfect - upper 30s at the start, mid 60s at the finish, with the lowest humidity in the five years I've run it.

The course was different. I couldn't say where exactly we were going that was different, but I knew there were normal parts we missed. Where was the church with the lyrics to Amazing Grace, then the mother of all downhills? Where was the relay exchange behind Kroger? With the different route, I thought maybe we won't have to go up on the highway? Maybe we won't be in the part of town that has zero shade? No such luck.

Mile 7 "Bacon" is wearing wings
I ate a lot, I drank a lot. A group of college aged kids had tequila shots around mile 21. Why not? May as well have fun, right? When else would I take shots on a race course? (or off a course, for that matter? I rarely rarely drink, certainly not shots)

Mile 16, I texted the boyfriend to say I was at 16 and in a lot of pain.

Mile 22, we passed a younger girl, maybe 12 or 13, sitting on a blanket in the front of her yard. Three black and white guinea pigs were with her, perfectly content to sit in the sun next to their sign "Run Pigs Run" I wish I had taken a picture.

Mile 23 I texted the boyfriend, asking him to come meet me. Walk against the running traffic until he ran into me, and we'd walk/run to the finish. He declined, not aware if he walked past the gates the last 1/4 mile, he could hop on the course
and come meet me.

Mile 25.9 a group of baseball tailgaters had shots of beer. Had they been on my side of the street... :)

Mile 26.1, a man was a tiny bit in front of me and it seemed like a good idea to try and pass him. I got close, he sped up. I got closer, he sped up again, and he finally edged me out. Where was that energy and determination the past 26 miles???

The bling is always great. Maybe not my favorite race shirt they've ever done, but I give the Piggies credit for designing a new theme every single year.

They had 2018 registration on site. I declined. I wasn't ready to commit to another until after Chicago. Of course I'll do it. It's the 20th anniversary, and I "need" to keep my 4-way streaker status in tact.

This post is really disjointed. Just like the 2017 Piggie.
The 5-year finisher medal isn't an actual medal, it's an attachment for the ribbon 
Backpacks this year!!!! And for once the Little Kings shirt isn't green! 4-way shirt is cotton this time - love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment