Sunday, July 30, 2017

No pint glass this time

The last Sunday in July is always the Electric Bolt 5k. I've done it twice and gotten second place twice. I really want to score a first place finish one of these days!

Today wasn't it :(

As soon as I started a warm up jog, I could tell I was wearing my slow shoes. Some runs are amazing and others are a lot of effort.

As I lined up near the front (no timing pad so we all have the same start time), I looked around and thought that within the 15-20 people near the front, there were 5 women I would guess to be right around my age, all of whom could potentially/probably beat me. They did.

It's a hard course, very hilly, with a monster hill of a traffic bridge at the end.

And somehow it's always extraordinarily humid. Within two minutes of finishing sweat was pouring down my face, then it got in my eyes so those started gushing as well. I was a mess!

The results went up and I finished 6th out of 13 in my age group. Overall I was 14th out of 84 women. I would have won the 30-34 age group, I would have won the 40-44 age group. I was just in a really competitive group today.

There were some good parts though:
I finished and didn't get injured
I sat down at the finish and watched other runners and walkers finish, seeing the joy and the pain in their faces
Almost immediately after finishing, a man said he had been following my pace for a long time and I had a strong fast start. That was the highlight of the race - No one has ever followed my pace, I'm always the follower, not the followee.
The run is done nice and early so I have the whole day to finish my book and binge a CW show without exercise hanging over my head.
I won't do another 5k until Cincinnati in May 2018 :D

There's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment