Friday, August 25, 2017

44 days

Chicago is in 44 days. No part of me feels ready for it, I feel this every single time I start a race.

There has been a lot of bad - boredom, apathy, heat, forgetting shoes and breakfast... Sometimes my right heel hurts. Experience says there is nothing wrong with it, it just hurts. I know how to manage that. Other times, my left Achilles hurts and I wonder if it isn't getting ready to tear. Some runs, especially at the start of a run, it feels like it doesn't want to support weight, or it just hurts.

Stamina is a problem too, but the best way to build stamina is to build stamina! To say "This is horrible, keep going!" Or "This is a shytshow of a run, keep going." I'm starting to understand the depth of all those inspirational quotes about never giving up, Run when you can, walk when you need to, crawl if you absolutely must, but never stop. Etc.

Other parts of training have been good though. Last Saturday I was supposed to run 16 miles. I did it in bits and pieces, 6.2 at a race in Farmington Hills, +/-3 at the trail where I finally said it's too damn hot! 2 hours later I did the last 7 on the treadmill. Unconventional, certainly not the same as doing all 16 straight through, but they got done after every part of me was screaming to quit after 9.

Wednesday I was scheduled for 9 miles at race pace. My gym membership expired and we bought a new house (with a treadmill in the basement that they're leaving!!!!) but we can't move in yet. It was humid, but not terribly hot. I got through it, with an average pace 1 second slower than goal.

I'm trying. I'll never again be in the shape I was in during the spring of 2015. No fall marathon for me in 2018. I'm too old to do multiples a year! Yes, it completely boggles my mind that it was only 4 years ago when I did 4 fulls in 4 weeks. Crazy girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment