Sunday, August 6, 2017

I wasn't meant to run

I've been wanting to switch to trail running, especially for the longer runs, for a change of scenery and to get a break from the constant pounding on cement. My feet haven't been feeling 100% and I need to baby them however I can.

I know there are trails around here, but I have no idea where. Everything seems too short or it's paved. I found one a half hour away that meets my criteria - mostly shady, packed dirt surface, 4 miles point to point, so 8 if I do the whole distance, there are smaller offshoots as well to tack on distance. Pretty much perfect.

On Saturday I had been wearing my 5 Fingers around the house and drove in them, with the Hokas in the trunk. Parked the car, went to change my shoes and realized I didn't bring socks!!!!!! The Hokas rub blisters and cut my feet without very thick socks. Not happy! I was already there, though, so I ran 1.5 in the Vibrams then switches to the Hokas without socks and ran until my feet were crying. 4 miles, not the 15 the Hansons wanted.

Sunday. I wore knee socks so I wouldn't be scratched or bitten, so I definitely had socks for the whole drive. 25 minutes into the 30 minute drive I realized I hadn't eaten breakfast! Duh! I had had a chocolate chip cookie then left. The Luna bars I bought last night specifically for the run were on the kitchen counter.

So I did 5.15. No food = no energy. I could have run / walked (mostly walked) the whole distance, but why? To be on my feet for 4 hours? The Hansons say there's no benefit beyond 3 hours. To prove I can go 15 miles? I know I can. Two attempts at a long run, two fails! Wasn't meant to run this weekend, I guess.

Anyone have suggestions for trails near me? Unpaved :)

No comments:

Post a Comment